Snow & Ice Storms
Cincinnati Severe Snow & Ice Storms (since 1977)
|February 2007||6 inches||40 mph||6||3-day power outage; roads blocked|
|January 1978||28 inches||70 mph||51||buried houses; roads blocked; airports closed (days); National Guard Deployed|
|January 1977||31.5 inches||60 mph||20||frozen water pipes; furnaces malfunctioned; National Guard deployed|
Prepare for Snow/Ice Storms
- Make a preparedness kit. Periodically check that items work.
- Develop and practice a plan.
- Insulate your home (walls, pipes, attic).
- Prepare a Winter Car Kit.
- Water and non-perishable food
- Shovel and windshield scraper
- Heavy blankets
- Battery operated radio
- Cell phone
- Flashlight (extra batteries)
- First Aid Kit
- Candles and matches
- Red flag/bandana (to signal for help)
- Winterize your car before first snowfall.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Avoid unnecessary trips.
- If you must drive, then stay on the safest roads.
If Your Vehicle Gets Stuck
- Stay in your car! Do not try to walk to safety.
- Run your car's engine for 10 minutes every hour.
- Crack a window (facing away from prevailing wind).
- Wrap your entire body with cloth and huddle with passengers for body heat.
- Stay awake and keep body parts moving
- Tie a red flag/bandana around your vehicle's antenna.